RYA COASTAL SKIPPER COURSE
RYA Coastal Skipper is the ideal qualification to follow RYA Day Skipper. It may also form a bridge to a MCA/RYA Yachtmaster™ examination. It’s designed to give an experienced skipper the confidence to undertake longer and more complex passages which may involve sailing at night or involve watch-keeping systems.
Skippering a yacht on coastal and offshore passages demands strong navigation, seamanship and leadership skills. During the RYA Coastal Skipper course, your instructor will guide you through navigation (both offshore and in limited visibility), weather forecasting and passage planning, watch keeping, preparation for sea and handling heavy weather. You will put this all into practice as you plan and execute passages whilst in complete command of the yacht. Coastal skippers must be good boat handlers and you will receive plenty of practice mooring the yacht and experience night sailing. Weather permitting you will also undertake a longer coastal passage.
Achieving your RYA Coastal Skipper certificate is an accomplishment ideal for anyone who wants to further their training, especially to tackle more challenging coastal passages.
Book and complete this RYA course between October and March and receive your RYA SRC Radio course for just £39.00 (normal price £99.00).
Price : From £489.00
15 days, 2 days as skipper, 300 miles, 8 night hours
The Coastal Skipper is the ideal course to follow the RYA Day Skipper. This course is designed to build confidence to undertake longer and more complex passages.
Your navigational skills should be to the standard of the Coastal/Yachtmaster™ theory and your sailing skills should be to an RYA Day Skipper standard.
Student Instructor Ratio
- Passage planning
- preparation for sea
- passage making and ability as skipper
- yacht handling under power
- yacht handling under sail
- adverse weather conditions
- emergency situations.
Ability after Course
A Coastal Skipper has the knowledge and ability to skipper a yacht safely and confidently on coastal cruises but not necessarily the experience needed to undertake longer offshore passages.
- Can plan a coastal passage including a consideration of the capability of the yacht, navigation, victualling, weather, ports of refuge, tidal heights, and tidal streams, publications required and strategy
- Know Customs procedures
Preparation for sea
- Is aware of safety equipment required for offshore passages
- Can prepare a yacht for sea including stowage, safety briefing, watch keeping, delegating responsibilities and equipment and engine checks
- Can prepare a pilotage plan, with consideration of surroundings, transits, clearing bearings, buoyage, port or harbour regulations and tidal considerations. Can pilot a yacht by day and night
Passage making and ability as skipper
- Can take charge of a yacht and direct the crew
- Can organise the navigation, deckwork, and domestic duties of a yacht on passage
- Is aware of the significance of meteorological trends
- Is aware of crew welfare on passage
- Can use electronic navigational equipment for planning and undertaking a passage, including the use of waypoints and routes
Yacht handling under power
- Can control the yacht effectively in a confined space under power
- All berthing and unberthing situations in various conditions of wind and tide
Yacht handling under sail
- Can use the sails to control the yacht in a confined space
- Anchoring and mooring in various conditions of wind and tide
- Can sail efficiently on all points of sailing
Adverse weather conditions
- Preparation for heavy weather and yacht handling in strong winds
- Navigation and general conduct in restricted visibility
- Recovery of man overboard under power and sail
- Understands action to be taken when abandoning to the liferaft and during helicopter and lifeboat rescues
Why not put your new skills into practice on one of our mileage builders and adventure weeks, or a cross channel adventure? All of which go towards working up to RYA/MCA Yachtmaster™ preparation week with us.
When you book a course with Bacchus Yachting we do our best to ensure there are no extra fees – everything you need to complete your course is included:
- A shared cabin on board one of our yachts
- Meals and refreshments whilst on board (except the evening of joining and one other)
- Mooring fees (home marinas only)
- All fuel costs
- Use of safety kit (wet weather gear can be hired should you need it)
- RYA course completion certification for all successful students
SEA SCHOOL & RYA TRAINING CENTRE IN THE HEART OF HAMPSHIRE & THE SOLENT SAILING SCHOOL, CLASSROOM & POWERBOAT TRAINING
Why not join the RYA today?
Secure Online Payment
Our online payment service and checkout facility is powered by Worldpay, one of the most widely recognised payment processing companies in the world. We can now take secure payments online from all major credit and debit cards in just a few clicks.