RYA FIRST AID COURSE
In a medical emergency a little first aid knowledge and immediate action can save lives. This is especially true in situations where it’s not easy to call an ambulance or get to a hospital. This one-day RYA course is designed to teach you what to do in many of the situations where people have accidents whilst on a small craft; from how to resuscitate someone to how to treat minor cuts.
RYA First Aid teaches you many useful aspects of first aid, with a focus on marine-specific situations – including CPR, drowning, cold shock, hypothermia, head injury, how to control bleeding and recognising and treating sea sickness and dehydration. In addition, calling for help and knowing how to prepare for a helicopter evacuation forms an important part of the day.
This course is useful for anyone who goes out on the water and an RYA requirement for those taking Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster™ exams. At the end of the course you will qualify for the RYA First Aid Certificate which is valid for 3 years from time of issue. RYA First Aid also fulfils the requirements for Professional skippers of small craft working within 60 miles of a safe haven, including Boatmasters, and the Senior First Aid certificate needed by offshore racers subject to ISAF’s regulations on first aid training (OSR 4.08.4). The course is recommended by the MCA and HSE.
Price : £99.00
No experience required.
Student Instructor Ratio
1 day course
Time is spent on key marine-specific situations and includes: the recovery position in a confined space, CPR, including the drowning protocol, cold shock and hypothermia from immersion and/or exposure, seasickness and dehydration, medical assistance or advice by VHF, helicopter rescue.
Ability after Course
Improved confidence to offer basic first aid in a range of situations you may encounter whilst at sea.
- Demonstrate artificial ventilation & chest compression (CPR)
- Demonstrate how to turn a casualty into the recovery position
- Detail the treatment for shock
- Apply direct pressure to a wound and control bleeding
- Outline the treatment for asthma attacks, burns, diabetic emergencies, epilepsy and heart attacks
- List the precautions needed when handling a spinal injury
- Demonstrate how to immobilise a fracture
- List actions needed to prepare for helicopter evacuation
- Use of an Automatic Defibrillator
- A copy of the latest edition First Aid manual, which you receive on the morning of the course
- All practice equipment
- Tea and Coffee / Refreshments during the course
- Free parking
- Your RYA First Aid certificate
SEA SCHOOL & RYA TRAINING CENTRE IN THE HEART OF HAMPSHIRE & THE SOLENT SAILING SCHOOL, CLASSROOM & POWERBOAT TRAINING
Why not join the RYA today?
Secure Online Payment
Our online payment service and checkout facility is powered by Worldpay, one of the most widely recognised payment processing companies in the world. We can now take secure payments online from all major credit and debit cards in just a few clicks.